Bikee handlebar

DrJoel

Aug 29, 2002, 6:30:40 PM8/29/02
Would anyone know the stock number or part name for the Bikee handlebar with
the bent stem? I am looking to bring the handlebar closer on my riding
partners Bikee, he gets numb arms from the extreme outstretched position.

--

Joel

You can contact me at jo...@waxman.org
My Recumbent Web Pages: "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joelw135/"

Mark Stonich

Aug 30, 2002, 5:44:40 PM8/30/02
The BikeE stem doesn't have much offset, and might be hard to order.
Get one for a Cannondale. Same diameter, with about a 4" offset.

DrJoel

Aug 30, 2002, 6:41:09 PM8/30/02
I thought the Bikee had a special order stem, well maybe I was wrong. I
will look into the Cannondale stem. Can he use the Bikee handlebar?

"Mark Stonich" <ma...@bikesmithdesign.com> wrote in message

rich westerman

Aug 30, 2002, 8:52:39 PM8/30/02

> I thought the Bikee had a special order stem, well maybe I was wrong. I
> will look into the Cannondale stem. Can he use the Bikee handlebar?

They do- its the standard stem for the RX.

Rich

Mark Stonich

Aug 31, 2002, 5:23:03 PM8/31/02
"DrJoel" <joel...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<9wSb9.312750$2p2.12...@bin4.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>...

> I thought the Bikee had a special order stem, well maybe I was wrong.

If it's a special order, I doubt you will be able to get it anymore.

> I will look into the Cannondale stem.

If you can't get it, you can make one. All you need is a piece of 1 -
1/8" tubing and an aheadset style MTB handlebar stem. Get a 130
degree model in whatever length works for you. Many brands have a 130
in a 120mm length, which will give a 4" offset. Some brands also have
130s in 135mm.
See http://mnhpva.org/meetings/June_02/Dawg.html and scroll to the
bottom for a really bad picture of what I mean. It's a bit clumsy
looking, but so are the welds on the Cannondale stem.

Another option would be to keep the stock stem and try to find a BikeE
NX handlebar, which comes back about 4" and, if adjusted properly,
gives much better steering ergonomics.

> Can he use the Bikee handlebar?

Yes but a much better choice would be the Calhoun Cycles EvoBar
"Sport" model. Getting some tiller on a BikeE steadies up the
handling, but it's really a sweet steering bike if you get the hand
position right too.

Calhoun has been testing some BikeEs with EvoBars and custom made 4"
offset stems. If you can't find a stem elsewhere, you could ask If
they are going into production with the stems.

BTW messing with bars and stems on BikeEs usually makes the cables too
short. Fishing cable housing through a BikeE frame is a bitch, and
that much cable can be expensive. I usually just add a linear pull
brake noodle at the the controls to lengthen the housing.